As we continue to advance into the digital age, we are beginning to see an increase in the number of companies making the switch to digital document storage.
But many business owners still do not understand what electronic document storage actually is and how it can help their business. This post will serve to answer these questions.
What is an electronic document management system?
An electronic document management system is a system that allows you to create, store, sort, and dispose of important documents through digital means. This is a paper-free alternative to traditional document management which typically involves several boxes full of paper documents.
According to Laserfiche, electronic document management systems include a number of tools used for different purposes, such as:
- Creating digital files and converting paper documents into digital assets.
- Easily sharing digital documents with the right knowledge workers.
- Centrally organizing documents in standardized file structures and formats.
- Storing and accessing information for more efficient use.
- Securing documents according to standardized compliance rules.
With applications like these, it’s safe to say electronic document management systems can save businesses a great deal of time, stress, and money.
Benefits of Electronic Document Management Systems
There are a number of benefits to investing in electronic document solutions for your business, including:
- Reduced environmental impact – the average office worker prints 10,000 sheets of paper annually.
- Ability to share documents quickly across multiple business locations.
- Reduces the risk of data loss due to fire, flood, or other disasters.
- Frees up space in the office that would otherwise be occupied by countless boxes of paper documents.
- Reduces printing and storage costs.
Can my business have a hybrid document solution (electronic and paper)?
But what if you want the best of both worlds – paper and digital copies of all your documents?
If your business isn’t ready to make the full jump to electronic document storage, you might want to consider a hybrid solution. This involves using both paper and digital document management practices.
This is a great option for those who would like to digitize their paper documents to protect them from getting damaged from fire or flood, but also sometimes prefer a paper copy of their documents they can actually hold in their hands.
If this is something you are interested in, you’ll need to contact a document storage company that provides a scanning service. They’ll be able to scan each of your paper documents and convert them to the digital file of your choice!
Electronic Document Solutions from Western Archives
At Western Archives, we take pride in our ability to provide customers with a number of electronic document management solutions. From electronic records solutions to e-doc storage, we’ll help your business make the switch to paperless documents.
We can even shred your old paper materials after they have been converted to digital files. Contact us today to learn more!