It looks like remote work is here to stay! Many employers and employees have found the transition to a remote work environment to be a productive alternative to the typical in-office role. Whether you are working remotely, in a hybrid situation, or just want an organized and successful at-home workspace, we have tips for you!
- Take scheduled breaks. Try setting an alarm to get up and stretch every hour or so. Walk around your home while chatting on the phone with a friend. Move to a separate area — away from your email — to eat lunch for 30 minutes. Breaking up the day and moving your body enables you to refresh and can increase your productivity when you return to your work. When the weather is nice why not do conference calls while taking a walk outside.
- Set a daily schedule. As appropriate, keep your same work hours & structure your day like you were going in to the office. It’s important to maintain boundaries around hours. Plan for meal breaks just like you would in the office.
- Protect your workspace. Talk to family members or roommates about the hours you are working from home and the ground rules during those hours. Assume that anything that can interrupt you will interrupt you.
- Turn on a white noise machine or app. This really helps to reduce noise distractions around your work area.
- Set up a dedicated workspace. Try to find a specific room or surface for work and if possible try to keep it a designated work space. Consider how you might arrange your workspace to improve your productivity. To set up an at home workspace:
- rearrange furniture,
- use adequate lighting,
- gather all your equipment and supplies together,
- declutter often,
- choose an area away from noise and other disturbances (if possible).
Need Help Staying Organized?
One of the most important organizational responsibilities of any business is document management. This includes anything from contracts to engagement letters to order forms and more. Not only do you need to make sure you have a system in place so that you can find the documents you need when you need them, but you also need to dispose of these documents once they expire.
Western Archives provides document storage and destruction services for businesses in Edmonton and surrounding areas. Get in touch with us today and we’ll discuss how our services can help keep you and your remote team organized!